Office of Human Resources
Dear Faculty and Staff:
There have been several legislative updates that impact some of the provisions within the various Employee Benefit Programs that we wanted to make you aware of.
1) Flexible Spending Accounts Program:
On March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act ("CARES Act") was passed and it allows an expansion of the types of medical/health care items that participants may claim through their HCFSA accounts effective January 1, 2020. These include (1) menstrual care products and (2) over-the-counter medicines and drugs, without the need for a prescription. However, for over-the-counter medication, a Letter of Medical Necessity from the participant's medical provider is still required.
In addition, the IRS issued Notice 2020-23, extending deadlines for a large number of "time-sensitive acts" due to be performed on or after April 1, 2020 and before July 15, 2020. Therefore, the Claims Run-Out Period for Plan Year 2019 is extended from May 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. Visit the Flexible Spending Accounts Program website for information regarding the new Claims Run-Out Period deadline to submit claims for services incurred during the 2019 Plan Year and Grace Period at https://www1.nyc.gov/site/olr/fsa/fsahome.page
Furthermore, IRS Notice 2020-29 allows HCFSA/DeCAP participants to:
- decrease or increase an existing election regarding a health FSA on a prospective basis;
- decrease or increase an existing election regarding a dependent care assistance program on a prospective basis.
However, any decreases are limited to amounts no less than amounts already reimbursed (minus the HCFSA administrative fee).
Plan Year 2019 HCFSA Participant: IRS Notice 2020-29 also allows any HCFSA expenses incurred in 2020 to be applied to Plan Year 2019 unused amounts through December 31, 2020.
2) FSA Forms Submission/Inquires:
- Please submit any inquires and questions via Email FSA:
- Please submit forms and documents to the FSA Program via the following link: https://asonet.com/emailFSA.aspx
- Forms can also be faxed to: (877) 290-6587
- Also, please do not send forms or documents via express mail. The office is closed and the package cannot be accepted.
- Please check back periodically for updates and how to send forms and claims electronically to the Program.
- To visit the forms page, please click on the following link: Flexible Spending Accounts Program Forms
- IMPORTANT - If you are currently receiving your reimbursement via check, please complete a Direct Deposit Form in order to receive reimbursement in a timely fashion. Do not mail your completed form to the address on the form. Please submit your completed form following the directions in #2 or #3 above.
Message from the Office of Labor Relations – May 2020