E-Permit Instructions and Information

E-permit facilitates the process of CUNY students obtaining permission to register for courses offered at other CUNY colleges. Prior to taking courses at another institution a student should inquire at the Host College for registration dates and procedures governing permit students.

Please note that an e-permit does not automatically register a student for a course nor does issuance of an e-permit guarantee enrollment at the Host College. Once you have enrolled at the Host College, cancellation of an e-permit does not delete your course registration at the Host college; see details below regarding student responsibilities.

Who is eligible to use the e-permit approval request system?

  • A matriculated student currently in attendance at a CUNY college (Home college);

  • Undergraduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.00;

  • Graduate students with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.00;

  • A student cannot have any holds on his/her record;

  • A student must meet all Home college registration requirements, such as completed immunization;

  • Newly admitted and continuing Macaulay Honors College, ROTC, and CUNY BA students with advisor approval. Must use the manual pdf fill in form.

  • Courses taken on permit must meet a specific degree requirement.

E-permit requests will NOT be issued to:

  • A non-degree student

  • A newly admitted undergraduate or graduate student prior to completing their first term at the Home college with the minimum GPA.

TIPS for CCNY Students

  • Make sure you apply for e-permit before the deadline. E-permit forms submitted after the deadline WILL NOT be processed. See academic calendar for e-permit deadline.

  • Make sure you CONSULT WITH YOUR FACULTY ADVISOR about the course you wish to take on permit and use this information to complete the E-permit form.

  • You must meet all home college registration requirements, such as completed immunization.

  • You must indicate why you need to go on permit in the Comments section for the reviewer to process.

  • Graduate students (when using Add E-permit) indicate a CCNY Equivalent course on the e-permit form. If you cannot find the equivalent course, please contact your advisor to determine the equivalent that should be added to the form.

  • Cannot take courses that you may need to repeat.

  • Taking a course to count as a residency requirement towards your degree; these courses must be taken at your home college.

  • Courses and grades on permit cannot be used towards the "F" policy. Courses must be taken at the same institution that the "F" grade was given.

  • Please allow ten business days for the processing of your e-permit.

Summer Session E-Permit Applicants

  • Indicate on the comment box which summer session you are planning to attend.

For Study Abroad Students

  • If you are planning to go on a Study Abroad Program through another CUNY college you must fill out a Study Abroad Form and E-permit for the other school to activate you in their system. Attach a copy of your acceptance to the program (letter or email) to the study abroad form. After you are approved, you will be billed for the tuition and fees based on the number of credits indicated.

  • To make sure you are not billed for courses you do not intend to take please make sure you drop them prior to the start of classes.

  • Students approved to register through filing an e-permit approval request are still required to follow formal course registration procedures at the Host college.


Important information and policies for filing an e-permit approval request:

Once a permit is approved:

A student granted approval to take courses on permit must check their CUNYFirst Student Center for the registration appointment time from the Host college. Note that an e-permit approval only grants permission to take a course at another CUNY college and does not enroll a student or guarantee a seat in a course. Normal registration procedures should then be followed by the student with the Host institution. You must register for the course approved on the permit form. If you want to register for another course you need to cancel the course you do not want and submit another e-permit for approval.

Permit term:

The system is set to allow requests to take courses on permit for a specific semester. If more than one semester appears, e.g. summer and fall, select the semester or term for which you wish to enroll for the permit course and indicate the session in the comment section.

Course grade:

Courses will be transferred to the Home college and recorded with the grade assigned by the Host college and included in the cumulative GPA. The number of credits transferred for each course will be the value assigned by the Host college and not the Home college. (e.g., ENGL 178 is 4 credits at Home College, an equivalent course taken on permit is 3 credits at the host college; upon transfer the student is awarded 3 credits on their Home College transcript with the host college's name duly noted.)

Permit cancellation:

A student may cancel his/her e-permit request at any time prior to registering at the Host college.

Dropping a Course:

If a student enrolls in a course at the selected Host college and decides not to attend the course, it is the student's responsibility to drop the course registration at both the home and host campuses as well as canceling the e-permit request. The student must notify his/her Home college of the cancellation before classes begin to avoid a tuition liability and to prevent any academic consequences. E-permit course cancellation adheres to the CUNY refund policy dates and deadlines published in the academic calendar.

Financial aid:

It is the student's responsibility to make certain that his/her total credits meet financial aid eligibility and credit load requirements. Students should meet with an academic advisor at his/her Home college with any course related questions. Questions concerning financial aid can be addressed by a financial aid counselor at the Home college.


Tuition is charged and paid at a student's Home college. Students eligible for financial aid are to apply through their Home college and are responsible for meeting any credit load requirements. Tuition is calculated based on the Host college credits. Courses for which material fees are applied are paid by the student to the Host college.

E-permit and courses in residence:

A student must obtain approval in advance to take courses at another college if they are to be credited toward their degree requirements. Students must complete a minimum number of credits at their Home institution, including a minimum of the major courses, to satisfy the courses in residence requirement to be eligible for graduation. Refer to your Home college catalog for the minimum credits required to be taken in residence.

Last Updated: 04/21/2022 09:56