FAQ's for Graduation and Commencement




Is there a difference between graduation and commencement?

Yes, there is a difference.  Graduation is the awarding of degrees, which occurs three times during the academic year.  Commencement is the ceremony celebrating the conferring of the degrees, which occurs only once during the academic year.


Do I have to apply to graduate?

Yes, you must apply about three-four months prior to the date you expect to graduate. There are 3 graduations in the academic year; Summer, Fall and Spring.  The dates are published in the academic calendar: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/academic-calendar.


How do I notify the Office of the Registrar of my intention to graduate?

You can apply for graduation online via your CUNYFirst account.  You can do so by going to the following link: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/application-for-graduation.  


What are the deadlines to apply for graduation?

The deadlines to apply for graduation are published in the academic calendar: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/academic-calendar.  


Do I have to pay a fee when I apply for graduation?

No, there is no fee required to apply for graduation.


My plans have changed and I need to defer my graduation to the following semester.  Can I do that?

Yes, you can defer your application for graduation by completing the electronic “Cancel Graduation Form.” This form is available in the following link: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/request-forms then click on "Cancel Graduation Form" and follow the instructions.


What are the degree requirements for my major?

The requirements for your degree are taken from the academic catalog that is in effect at the time you are admitted into the college.  Your plan/sub-plan/minor (major/concentration/minor) requirements will be taken from the academic catalog at the time that you declare your plan/sub-plan/minor (major/concentration/minor). Catalogs begin in the fall semester and end in the spring semester. Students who become matriculated in the summer semester follow the fall catalog of that year.  You may also access your degree requirements through DegreeWorks, the student advisement audit system, through your CUNY Login at: https://degreeworks.cuny.edu.


How do I know if I graduated?

After you have applied for graduation, check with your academic advisor to make sure you are on track towards completing your degree requirements. You will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar via your CCNY email address confirming you have officially graduated and diploma availability.


When can I pick up my diploma?

Diplomas are no longer available for pick up.  Graduates will be notified via their CCNY email address when the diplomas are ready to be mailed.  


Can my diploma be mailed to me?

The diploma is now automatically mailed to a student.  In order for the physical diploma to reach the student in a timely manner, their Home Address in CUNYFirst must be current.  The Home Address can be updated by the student when they log into their CUNYFirst account.  Student can update their Home Address by completing the following steps:

  1. Log into your CUNYFirst account and go to the "Student Center".  You will go to "Personal Information" and then click on the drop down box.
  2. Select "Addresses" and you will have the option to either "Edit" or "Add a New Address".  Edit your "Home Address".  Your physical diploma will be sent to the "Home Address".

If you need guidance in updating your Home Address in CUNYFirst click here.


I lost my diploma, how can I get another one?

Go to the following link for instructions on what to do for a duplicate diploma: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/diplomas.


What if I want to change the way my name appears on my diploma?

When applying for graduation, the way your name appears in CUNYFirst will be the way your name will print on your diploma. If there is a discrepancy between the name you wish to appear on your diploma and the name we have for you in CUNYFirst, you must contact the Office of the Registrar and complete an “Application for Change of Name” form.  This form is available in the Office of the Registrar in room A-102, and it is available at the following link: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/request-forms.  The “Application for Change of Name” form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with the proper original documentation.


Can I graduate in one semester and complete the courses required for my plan (major) and degree in the following semester?

No, all of the plan/sub-plan/minor (major/concentration/minor) and degree requirements must be completed prior to graduation.


Can I graduate if I have an incomplete (INC) grade on my transcript?

No, any Incomplete (INC) grades must be finished prior to graduation.


Can I prevent my name from being displayed in the commencement program?

The request has to be made in writing by the student to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline of February 28, no exceptions.



When is Commencement?

The Commencement ceremony is held the Friday following Memorial Day holiday.  The official date is published in the academic calendar for the Spring semester; https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/registrar/academic-calendar.


How can I attend the Commencement ceremony?

The Office of Student Affairs handles all items associated with commencement.  You can find the information by going to their webpage at https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement.


When and where can I sign up for senior portraits and cap and gown?

The Office of Student Affairs handles all items associated with commencement.  You can find the information by going to their webpage at https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement.


Last Updated: 02/28/2024 14:24