Advisement for Graduate Students

All graduate CE students must be advised, in order for the "EA" advisement stop to be removed so that they can register for classes.

The advisement process is detailed below.


  • M.S. students: Your advisor is specific to your specialization. The list is presented below, and is also available for download at the bottom of this page.
  • Ph.D. students: Your advisor is your research advisor. If you have questions that your research advisor cannot answer, please see the advisor for your specialization.









Prof Lin




Prof Conway



Water Resources and Environmental Engineering

Prof Tang





Prepare these items, and (if relevant), bring them with you when you see your advisor:


1. Your unofficial transcript.


2. A copy of your admissions letter which details any additional conditions on your acceptance.


3. The list of CE M.S. courses and requirements for your specialization

Download the list for your area of specializationfrom CE/Info for Students/Academic Matters/Academic Programs/Graduate or the quick link at the bottom of this page. Cross out from the list all the courses you have taken so far (or received transfer credit for).


4. A list of the courses you plan to take in the next semester

Cross out all of the courses that you have taken so far (or received transfer credit for), and indicate which courses you are currently taking.


  • The math course, CE H1000, must be taken during the first semester of your enrollment at City College.
  • Any admission conditions listed in your acceptance letter must be satisfied by the second semester of your enrollment at City College.
  • If you are not already familiar with computer programming, you must take CE 33500 or its equivalent before you take any CE graduate classes (besides CE H1000, the math course), and for no graduate credit. This is required all graduates of the CE graduate program must demonstrate competency in the use of computers and be capable of writing computer code;these skills will be refined (i.e., your instructors will assume you possess basic programming knowledge already) over the course of your graduate career at the college through computer programming assignments.
  • If you don't have the pre-requisites for a class you register for, you will be de-registered from the class and your tuition will not be refunded.


5. Overtally for any courses you know you want to take

For any CE course taught by an adjunct, the overtally form is online and can be accessed by going to the "CE/Info for Students/CE Overtally Policy" webpage. For all other courses, overtally directly with the course instructor.



Your advisor is here to help you, so please do not hide any information regarding your performance and other commitments from him/her.


1. Visit your advisor to identify when his or her office hours are;or schedule an appointment with him or her by email.


2. Some issues your advisor will discuss with you:

  • Whether you have fulfilled requirements to take CE H1000 in your first semester, any additional admissions conditions by the second semester, and an introductory programming course before taking other CE graduate classes (if you do not have any programming knowledge)
  • Your current academic standing
  • Your course load -- Do not overload yourself. Every three credit hours of Graduate coursework will require an average of 10 hours of studying at home. If you are working for more than 10 hours per week, then you should not take a full-time course load.
  • Your career path, and the electives that support it
  • Your plans to satisfy the research course in the curriculum, and the value of a research thesis for particular career paths



CE Graduate Advisor List

CE Graduate Program


Last Updated: 02/25/2020 18:58