City College of New York
Department of Civil Engineering
Academic Integrity Policy
Approved by the CE Faculty on 4/12/18
Update to quiz and exam policy made in Summer 2018
By declaring your major to be civil engineering, you are agreeing to the terms of this policy.
Students who have violated any aspect of this policy will not be permitted to be a member of Chi Epsilon or to hold a leadership position in a student club or in student government.
Violation of any aspect of this policy once will result in a grade of zero in the assignment or test in question, and potentially a failing grade in the course and disciplinary action by the college (see CUNY academic integrity policy below).
Violation of any aspect of this policy more than once in a single course will result in dismissal from the course, a failing grade in the course and potential disciplinary action by the college.
Violation of any aspect of this policy in more than one course will result in dismissal from the CE Program and potential disciplinary action by the college.
Homework, Report and Project Policy
- Unless otherwise stated by your instructor, students must use credible sources in their reports and project and cite them following the ASCE format. https://www.asce.org/uploadedFiles/Technical_Areas/Codes_and_Standards/…
- Students may not plagiarize from any source including the current or past work of other students or the internet.
- Students may not get answers from third party internet sources.
Quiz and Exam Policy
- Instructors reserve the right to set rules for exams as they feel necessary.
- Instructors may use communication device detection equipment as they feel necessary.
- Any items not permitted during a quiz or exam must be secured in the student’s bag and placed at the front of the classroom well out of the reach of any students. This includes cell phones and any other communication devices.
- Students must comply with any seat assignments or seat rearrangements by faculty.
- Students may only use the Texas Instruments 30XIIS calculator during quizzes and exams. This calculator is approved by NCEES and so can be used during the licensing exams.
- Students may not converse with each other during an exam or quiz.
- Students will not be permitted to leave the classroom during an exam or quiz. Students with medical conditions that require access to a bathroom and who provide documentation from their physician will be given permission to leave the classroom during an exam or quiz provided that they make their needs known at least two business days in advance.
- When the instructor calls time, all students must place their pens down and turn their exam face down. Your instructor may ask you to immediately leave the room or to immediately submit your exam.
Students who are suspected of cheating on a quiz or exam will be required to take a new test within 3 days or accept a zero on the test.
Examples of violations of this policy include being caught with an unapproved calculator, cell phone or other communication device on or in the vicinity of your person, even if it is out of sight or in your pocket.
The CUNY academic integrity policy can be found here: