- Be a resident of New York State.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Complete at least 30 credits each year (successively), and applicable toward your degree program
- To complete the application, you will need your IT-201 NYS Income Tax Return(s).
- 2021 tax information for 2023-2024
- 2020 tax information for 2022-2023
- File Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and New York State Aid (TAP)
Tuition-free program for eligible NYS residents 1 pursuing their first undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY College
- The Excelsior Scholarship application opens in the spring for the next academic year.
- New York State residents can apply for the NYS Excelsior Scholarship via HESC.
- If you have graduated from a high school outside the United States, you must meet the "Ability to Benefit" (ATB) requirement by the 21st day of the semester. For more information, contact the Evaluation and Testing Office located at Wille Administration Building, Room A-213. Phone: 1(212) 650-6488
- Students must file a FAFSA and TAP application before filing the excelsior scholarship.
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward their degree program.
- Recipients may receive up to $5,500 ($2,750 per semester) or actual tuition for the aid year, whichever is less.
- The maximum Excelsior Scholarship will be reduced by the amount of certain other financial aid awards, which an applicant has or will receive for the academic year including other New York State aid award(s) and/or federal grant(s).
- Recipients must live in New York State for the length of time they received the award. Failure to meet these requirements will result in the conversion of your award to a no-interest loan.
- For additional information, contact HESC or visit their website: www.hesc.ny.gov.
Read eligibility requirements at Excelsior Scholarhip FAQs- CUNY.
HOW TO APPLY
*Students who are current recipients of the scholarship do not need to complete the 2023-24 application.
In order to complete the 2023-2024 application, you will need to:
- Complete the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the 2023-2024 Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Application.
- Apply for the NYS Excelsior Scholarship via HESC at: www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior, if you are a New York State resident1.
- Provide copies of the 2021 New York State income tax return(s) filled by you and your parent(s).
- Upload all of your college transcripts and your 2023-2024 Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Upload an official college transcript, if you are a transfer student with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Please ensure that you upload your documents after you submitted the Excelsior Application at the HESC Account Access page.
Read eligibility requirements at Excelsior Scholarship FAQs - CUNY.
If you have any additional questions, you can contact the Scholarship Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1(888) 697-4372.
|Academic Year||Tax||Income Limit|
August 31st at Midnight for 2023-2024 HESC Excelsior Application
Excelsior appeal forms are located in your student forms as a "To do" item. Contact CCNY Financial Aid Office if you have questions.
Last Updated: 09/12/2023 16:38