Welcome to Academic Advising
Spring / Summer 2024
Dear CWE Student,
In a few weeks, it will be time to meet with your advisor to choose classes for Spring 2024. Please wait to receive an email from our Front Desk prompting you to schedule your advising appointment.
Here are some suggestions for how to prepare for a productive advising meeting:
- Be aware that our Spring / Summer 2024 Schedule of Classes will include many new scheduling options for students: different start-end times, and new course delivery options, or modalities. Read the Schedule carefully to identify the start-end time and delivery method of the classes you choose. Once you choose, decide what steps you need to take to complete asynchronous work in your schedule.
NOTE: The Schedule of Classes will be posted on the division's website during the week of October 30.
- Review your Undergraduate Student Record (transcript) for accuracy.
- Review and update your Advising Worksheet. Make note of the classes you still need to take.
- Identify the classes offered in Spring/Summer 2024 that you need, including the appropriate class section that aligns with your scheduling needs.
- Identify any changes in your working / parenting / caregiving / community / spiritual life that you will need to design for.
- Plan for payment/financing for your classes. This includes satisfying outstanding financial aid requirements, applying for scholarships, acquiring employee tuition vouchers, or applying for a student loan.
NOTE: If you're experiencing challenges in this area, please contact us:
Mr. Warren Orange (Financial Aid Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Bonita Bonet-Haskins (Financial Aid Assistant) at email@example.com )
Ms. Monica Ortiz-Suloway (Social Worker) at firstname.lastname@example.org )
Mr. Juan Carlos Mercado (Dean) at email@example.com
- Schedule an advising appointment even if you have a Bursar Hold. You can choose classes, and you'll be able to use the permission to enroll as soon as you pay your tuition balance.
- Schedule your advising appointment by emailing the our Front Desk after you receive the email prompt to make the appointment.
NOTE: Keep in mind that our Front Desk is very busy when scheduling appointments. Rather than giving specific dates, give them several days and times in a typical week that you are available in addition to the requested information. This will reduce the need for back and forth emails and longer wait times. Please use a respectful salutation and closing in all your emails in our community.
The CWE Advising Team
Important Student Documents
Build a Relationship with Your Academic Advisor
Throughout the academic year, we're here to assist you in more ways than simply issuing permissions for course enrollment. Here's how we can support you:
- We provide a stable and enduring connection to City College.
- We assist you in fulfilling your degree requirements and help you navigate the college's rules, procedures, systems, and student resources.
- We connect you with valuable information about scholarships, tutoring, disability services, and financial aid.
- We act as your sounding board for your career goals and direct you to useful resources.
- We are professionals with graduate school experience, so we can help you understand what's in store if you choose to pursue a master's degree.
- In moments of feeling overwhelmed, we encourage you to take a breath.
- We can help you transition from asking 'What course do I have to take?' to 'What course will feed my mind and help me grow?'
Take charge of your academic journey – reach out to your advisor before the semester's class scramble.To schedule an appointment during our regular business hours, please contact our Front Desk. We'll provide communication options: email, phone, videoconference, or in-person. For phone or video appointments, a link will be provided. We look forward to meeting you and hearing your questions and ideas.
Last Updated: 11/29/2023 21:08