Architecture Summer Career Lab
Considering studies and a career in architecture, or just curious about building, design, and construction? Learn to think like an architect at the Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture’s 2023 Summer Career Lab in Architecture.
The Spitzer School of Architecture at the City College of New York is now seeking applicants for its 2023 Summer Career Lab in Architecture. Building upon the professionally accredited curriculum of New York City’s original, flagship public school of architecture, the Summer Career Lab introduces architectural practice, theory, making, and thinking to those considering a career in the field. Running for four weeks within a state-of-the art facility and taught by Spitzer School faculty, alumni, and graduate students, the Summer Career Lab will be organized around a diverse set of events and exercises including:
- Lectures on architectural fundamentals
- Workshops on drawing and making
- One-on-one critiques and collective pin-up reviews
- Field trips and on-site work across the city, including in City College’s historic Manhattanville and Hamilton Heights neighborhoods
- Presentations from award-winning architects, historians, and designers
- Office tours
- And much more . . .
With an emphasis on contemporary architectural thinking and practice, the Summer Career Lab curriculum will dialogue with digital fabrication and computer-aided design, ecologically attuned and sustainable thinking, interdisciplinary research, and architecture in/as cultural discourse.
Full-time and in-person, the 2023 Summer Career Lab in Architecture will provide its participants—high school, collegiate, or professional—with the experience needed to make an informed career choice, with work useful in application portfolios for study, and with skills immediately applicable in future design endeavors.
Dates / Tuition
|Dates||July 10 - August 4, 2023|
|Days||Monday - Friday|
|Time||9:30am - 6:00pm|
|Tuition||$2500 (not including $25 Non-Refundable Registration fee)|
Eligibility & Admissions
Prior experience in architecture or design is not required for either pre-college or college-level programming. Admission is on a rolling basis. All attending students will be provided with a small kit including essential tools and materials for drawing, modeling, and more.
To learn more about the Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture, visit us online at: ssa.ccny.cuny.edu
Students must be sixteen years of age by the Summer Career Lab’s start date to enroll in pre-college courses.
Students enrolling in college-level courses must be eighteen years or older by the Career Lab’s start date or have completed one year of college study.
List of Tools and Materials
Like most any work, architecture employs its own set of tools to support thinking through making.
A kit containing the below necessities will be provided to all 2023 Summer Career Lab participants.
- 12” Architect’s scale (not Engineer’s)
- Set of drawing pencils (4H, 3H, 2H, H, HB, B, 2B, 3B, 4B at a minimum)
- Gum or plastic eraser
- Kneaded eraser
- Erasing shield
- Pencil sharpener
- Circle compass
- 8”-10” 45 degree drafting triangle
- 8”-10” 30 deg/60 deg drafting triangle
- Tracing paper (12” roll)
- Strathmore 200 series Approx. 9” x 12” spiral bound sketchbook
- Strathmore 300 series Drawing pad 14”x17” 70lb
- Xacto or Olfa hobby knife with extra blades
- 18” Metal ruler with cork backing
- Elmer’s Glue-All (White Glue)
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- 1” Masking or Blue painters’ tape
- 12” x 8” vinyl cutting mat
- 3/16” Foam core boards (3) 16”x20”
The following resources will be available for shared use:
- 36” Drawing board w/ parallel bar
- Drafting board brush
- 8”-10” adjustable triangle
- Olfa 18mm snap off blade utility knife
- Olfa heavy duty snap of blades (5 pack)
- Pad of Clearprint 11”x17” vellum sheets
- 24”-36” metal ruler/straight edge
The Deadline to register for this course is Monday, July 10th, 2023.
Consistent with New York State Reopening Guidelines for Higher Education and The City College of New York policy, all Summer Career Lab participants must submit proof of vaccination (with booster, if eligible) for admission and to enter the School of Architecture.
Due to this course being in person, students must register for a Cleared4 pass through the following link to submit proof of vaccination PRIOR to the class start date if already registered: https://www.c4wrk.com/97KHRDLPrXkp5Jza8
Last Updated: 01/10/2023 20:11