Medical Interpreter Certification Course
of our Medical Interpreter Students who take the National Certification Exam Pass and Receive the Core CCHI credential
According to the U.S. Census Bureau (2012), roughly 1.8 million residents of New York City have limited English proficiency. That means there is a great demand to understand English to communicate effectively with doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers. New York City law requires all hospitals to provide medical interpreting services to help eliminate the language barrier and protect patients from misunderstandings or harm. The need for qualified Medical Interpreters has never been greater.
This 102 hour curriculum is designed to train entry-level medical interpreters in English/Spanish to meet the needs of doctors' offices, hospitals, emergency rooms, and other medical facilities. Many hospitals now rely on telephone interpreters to assist patients. CCNY’s Certificate in Medical Interpreting is the only one of its kind to incorporate Telephonic Interpreting as part of its curriculum. Students also receive targeted assistance with resume writing, interview skills, and career development.
Includes consecutive, simultaneous, sight, and phone interpretation
- Member of the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care (NCIHC)
- Expert instructors who are practicing medical interpreters
- Preparation for national certification exam included
- Incorporates resume-building and interview skills
This course offers participants an introductory understanding of the role of the Spanish-English interpreter in healthcare settings. The course provides an opportunity to acquire knowledge and develop abilities and skills needed to meet the criteria established by the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics of the International Medical Interpreters Association.
Click HERE to review the Medical Interpreter (Spanish/English) Certificate Program Handbook.
- Applicants must provide documentation of proficiency in English by ONE of the following methods:
- Five years or more of professional experience in the US, or in another country where English is the official language
- A high school diploma (or equivalent),or an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the US, or in another country where English is the official language
- Acceptable score for one of the following language exams:
- TOEFL: 570+ paper, 230+ computer version, 90+ on iBT
- IELTS: 7.0+
- ELPT: 950+
- MELAB: 80+
- ECPE: Pass
- FCE Level 3: A
- CAE Level 4: B
- CPE Level 5
- Applicants must also provide documentation of proficiency in a second language by ONE of the following methods:
- Five years or more of verifiable professional experience in Spanish
- Bachelor's Masters, PhD, or any other degree from an institution of higher education where Spanish is spoken
- Graduation from a high school where Spanish is the medium of instruction
Acceptable score for the following language exam:
Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI): Advanced MidThe OPI is offered by the company Language Testing International. The cost of this test is included in the course tuition.For more information about the OPI, please visit: http://www.languagetesting.com/