Frequently Asked Questions



To view different options of payment, check Financing Your Education.

Why choose Continuing and Professional Studies at The City College of New York?

If you are looking for an effective way to move your career forward, at CPS, we can help you meet your goals. Our certificate programs are designed to increase your knowledge and skills when the time commitment necessary to complete a standard degree program is not an option. CPS certificate programs are structured to fit the schedules of busy individuals by concentrating on the fundamental aspects of a given field. A program certificate from CCNY's Continuing and Professional Studies is an impressive credential that will help you achieve success in your chosen area of specialization.

How do I register for a course?

How do I register for a course?

You can register for a course or Certificate Requirements by choosing one of the following options: 

Online Registration

You can register online and pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover). 

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens receive a discount of $25 off the price of any open course costing $99 or more (except computer courses). CCNY faculty, staff, and students receive a 10% discount on courses (except where exclusions may apply). Discounts cannot be combined with other offers. For Discount Eligibility please email . 

What forms of payment will CPS accept?

CPS accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards, bank certified checks, vouchers or money orders. Checks and money orders must be made payable to "The City College of New York".

*We do not accept personal checks and/or cash for payments.

How will I receive confirmation of my registration?

Confirmation of registration and payment will be available for view on your account within our registration system. You can also request a copy of your invoice by emailing us at .

Is financial aid available to CPS students?

We do not accept FAFSA since our courses are not credit-bearing.

Loans: Many CPS students are eligible for loan programs and/or training vouchers. Payment for personal loans for certificate programs can be made in manageable monthly installments. To apply for a personal loan please visit Sallie Mae.

CCNY Student and Employee Discount: If you are currently a full-time employee with CCNY, or a currently registered student at CCNY (part-time or full-time), you are eligible for a 10% discount on CPS tuition costs. You must present a valid CCNY ID card to receive the discount.

Where is my class?

Until further notice all classes will be held online using the distant learning model unless otherwise stated.


Books and materials are not included in the cost of a course (unless indicated in course descriptions). You are expected to have your required textbooks with you on the first day of class if necessary. Your instructor may contact you with more information once you are registered or inform students on the first day of class.

Do I need a CCNY ID?

While classes are running online, a student ID will not be necessary.

What are the CPS cancellation and refund policies?

If CPS cancels a course, a 100% refund, including the registration fee, will be given. If a student cancels, a refund request must be submitted in writing via email at least five business days prior to the first day of class.

If the student withdraws at least five business days prior to the first day of class, a 100% refund will be given (less the $25 registration fee).

There are no refunds on one or two day workshops, unless the class is not offered. Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal or request for refund.

A refund may take up to 6 - 8 weeks after the Office of Continuing and Professional Studies receives the request. Refunds are credited to the card originally charged.

Money orders and business check payments are refunded with check mailed 6 to 8 weeks after a course withdrawal or cancellation has been approved.

Refunds are not given after the first class session. 

What are the requirements for enrolling in a course? In a Certificate Requirements?

The minimum requirement to enroll in a Certificate Requirements is a High School Diploma or GED and at least 18 years old for any course that is not HSE, ESL or the English Language Institute. We do not request proof of a diploma. It is the student's responsibility to furnish this if necessary, when seeking certification from the certifying body if applicable.

Does the cost of a course or a Certificate Requirements include the cost of books?

No. The cost of tuition does not usually include the cost of required texts (there are some exceptions). Detailed information about course books will be provided at the time of registration. Please refer to the course description for more detailed information.

Do I purchase course books directly through CPS or do I get them elsewhere?

Students have the option of purchasing course books at the CCNY online campus bookstore, or from another bookseller of their choice. The ISBN numbers for all required textbooks are noted on your registration confirmation receipt.

How do I receive my grade for a completed course?

You may obtain a copy of your transcript once the instructor submits grades.

Any Incomplete grades should be resolved with your instructor within 2 weeks of the course finish date.

All final grades will be submitted 2 weeks after the class finishes by your instructor to our office.

Are there any free courses or programs at CPS?

We offer free HSE/ESL prep classes. To be eligible for each class, you have to put your name on their waiting list via our website.

Click here for HSE/GED Waiting List

Click here for ESL Waiting List

Will I receive a license after I complete a Certificate's Requirements?

Completion of a Certificate Requirements prepares you to take the governing body certification examination that you must pass to attain a license/certificate. Further information about the examination and the license will be provided by the course instructor or program adviser after you complete the certificate program. 

How long will it take to complete a Certificate's Requirements?

The required courses for any given CPS Certificate Requirements are structured so that you may complete most programs within two semesters.

If I cannot make it to class who do I notify?

If you are unable to attend a scheduled class, you must email your instructor and our office(  ) to inform us of your absence.

Please note: Students are responsible for any course work missed and any penalties related to absence.

Where can I find a listing of the courses and Certificate Requirements offered by CPS?

Information about our certificate programs and courses can be found in our online Course Catalog.


How big are classes, on average?

On average, a class usually has between 20 and 25 students.

Can I earn a college degree through Continuing and Professional Studies?

Currently Continuing and Professional Studies does not offer degree programs. However, City College offers Bachelor and Master Degree programs designed for adults through the Division of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Center for Worker Education (CWE). The mission of CWE is to provide an excellent and affordable education to adult learners. CWE offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences, a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Early Childhood Education and a Master of Arts (MA) degree in The Study of The Americas. CWE's courses and degree programs are designed especially for Adult Learner students who wish to pursue their education but also have work responsibilities, and/or family obligations. Please visit their website for more information about their programs.

Last Updated: 07/19/2023 00:15