Admission :: Undergrad :: Transfer & Second-Degree

Transfer Students

Prospective transfer and second-degree applicants must complete The City College of New York application process.


A student from another division, school or program of City College, or from another campus of the City University of New York, or from another college, may apply for transfer to the GSOE if he/she:

  1. Satisfies all of the GSOE freshman admission requirements;
  2. Achieved a minimum overall GPA of 2.7 in all college courses;
  3. Achieved a minimum 2.5 GPA in college math and science courses, with none of these grades below C;
  4. Passed calculus;
  5. Demonstrated proficiency in math and science, evidenced by college transcripts; and
  6. Completed 24 or more college-level credits.

Currently, we require two semesters of calculus, which at CCNY would be Math 20100 & 21200; the math and science GPA is calculated using physics, chemistry and biology courses, and math courses at the precalculus level and above; and proficiency in science must be demonstrated by completion of a calculus-based general physics course, which at CCNY would be Physics 20700.  (Applicants to the Computer Science program may substitute a general chemistry or biology course, which at CCNY are Chem 10301 or Bio 10100.)

The math and science GPA is calculated using the grades from every time that each course was taken.  If a course was repeated, there is no “F repeat policy” of dropping the earlier grade from the calculation.  Also, “none of these grades below C” applies to every time the student took each course.  (CCNY's F-repeat policy only omits an F from the calculation of the overall GPA shown on a student’s CCNY transcript. The policy does not erase F grades from transcripts;  it does not apply to admission criteria, nor to the math and science GPA calculation.)


CCNY students whose current major is not within GSoE must meet the same GSoE admission criteria as transfer students from other colleges.  They can apply while completing the last courses needed for admission (in most cases Math 21200 and Phys 20700).  They should apply for a GSoE program using the online internal transfer application process.  If they have also attended colleges other than CCNY, they must attach transcripts.  Applications are accepted during the spring and fall semesters, and are processed shortly after the end of the semester.


Graduates of CUNY community colleges  will receive at least 60 transfer credits—but generally, many credits will not apply to the degree. In all cases, normal admission procedures must be followed; contact CCNY Admissions at 212-650-6977 for full information.


For complete transfer information, refer to CCNY Admissions.

A sealed transcript must be sent from all of your previous colleges for you to be considered for admission as a transfer student to the address listed on the application form. (Under certain circumstances, CCNY Admissions will accept official transcripts hand-carried by the student in a sealed envelope.) If the transcript does not list grades, a "marks" sheet will also be required. For transcripts in a language other than English, you will need to provide an English translation by a certified translator. Students from non-English-speaking countries must also pass the TOEFL exam; minimum passing score is 500. Students who do not pass TOEFL will not be admitted to any senior CUNY college, but will be allowed to take intensive English courses at certain CUNY community colleges.


The Office of Admissions conducts transfer evaluations for credits earned at previous institutions in the liberal arts. Math, science and engineering credit evaluations are conducted by the Office of Undergraduate Affairs in the Grove School of Engineering. Students must supply course descriptions, and syllabi if requested, for all courses taken at other schools.


No matter how many transfer credits you are awarded, you must take a minimum number of credits of courses at the 30000-level or higher in your major at CCNY to obtain an engineering or computer science degree. Residency requirements are:

  • Biomedical Engineering — 30
  • Chemical Engineering — 33 (but 6 credits may be non-ChE technical electives)
  • Civil Engineering — 33
  • Computer Engineering — 30
  • Computer Science — 33
  • Electrical Engineering — 36
  • Earth Systems Science and Environmental Engineering — 33
  • Mechanical Engineering — 36

Even if you can meet all course requirements with fewer than the listed credits, you must still meet residency requirements. For students with many transfer credits in their major, this may mean taking "extra" courses.

Second Degree Students

If you already have a bachelor's degree, you may be able to obtain a second bachelor's degree in a different subject.  For example, you cannot come with a degree in Civil Engineering from one college and study for a degree in Civil Engineering here at City.

See the "Entrance Requirements" section above for transfer students.  These are the same for second-degree students.

Alone or in consultation with others, the GSOE's associate dean for undergraduate affairs will develop a list of all the course requirements (called a "contract") for each second-degree student. This is the program you must follow to obtain your degree.


Note to foreign students: We are occasionally asked by newcomers to this country to "validate" or "certify" an engineering degree received outside the United States. We cannot do this, nor, as stated above, can we give you a second degree in your original major. If this is your situation, we suggest that you visit Graduate Engineering (Steinman room 152, telephone 212-650-8030) to investigate entering our masters program.g

Last Updated: 07/30/2020 16:24