Occupational Safety


Any occupational hazards or unsafe conditions must be immediately reported to EHOS at (212) 650-5080 or the Office of Public Safety (212) 650-7777 or 6911.  Any job related injury must reported to both the Office of Public Safety and to the Human Resources Office. EHOS will review both reports and take the appropriate actions necessary to address the issue.

EHOS also maintains copies of Material Safety Date Sheets (MSDS) for hazardous substances used on campus.  MSDS sheets are available to all employees whose job functions and activities are involved in the handling of materials such as those containing asbestos or lead, or work in environments where indoor air quality may be affected. 

Chemical Hygiene

All laboratories which use chemicals are required to abide by the standards set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR 1910.1450), Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories; commonly known as the "Laboratory Safety Standard".  EHOS has developed a Chemical Hygiene Plan to give PIs and lab supervisors directions for complying with this regulation, but the manual is not intended to provide a review of the details of the regulation -- for details see Laboratory Safety Standard.