Master of Engineering in Chemical Engineering Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Master of Engineering program in Chemical Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are your admission requirements, and how can I apply for admission?  Students with a baccalaureate degree in Chemical Engineering (ChE) or a related field may be admitted to our Master of Engineering program in Chemical Engineering. In general we require:

• Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 (“first class with distinction,” where applicable)

• Minimum TOEFL score of 79 (ibt) (note that this may be different from the CUNY Graduate Admissions cutoff).

In addition, all applicants must submit

• Minimum of two letters of recommendation from faculty or supervisors familiar with your academic or professional work

• Personal statement explaining why you are interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering.

Program Online Application (use for both spring and fall applications)

2. What is the deadline date for receipt of applications?  We accept applications for admission in both the Fall and Spring semesters.

• The deadline to apply for admission in the Fall is May 1.

• The deadline to apply for admission in the Spring is November 15.

All application materials, including TOEFL scores, MUST be in by the deadline.  Please note that many of our courses follow a prescribed sequence that begins in the Fall, so students who enter in.the Spring semester may be limited as to the selection of courses they are able to take. Your Academic Advisor will work with you to design a suitable program.

3. Can I be admitted to your Master’s program if my undergraduate major was not Chemical Engineering? If so, what undergraduate course work will I have to make up, and what grades will I need in these courses?              Applicants with undergraduate degrees in Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, or other branches of Engineering who meet our GPA eligibility criteria will be considered, but may be required to complete up to seven (7) undergraduate courses in Chemical Engineering and advanced Mathematics before commencing graduate-level course work in ChE. These courses are listed in Table 1, below. IMPORTANT – As of 2017, International graduate students who are matriculated in a Master’s degree program in the US under an F1 (i.e. student) visa may not enroll in any undergraduate courses, per US Immigration Law. If this restriction applies to you, you must complete all undergraduate make-up course work before entering our Master’s program.

The Chemical Engineering Department Graduate Admissions Committee will review your transcript and determine which, if any, of these undergraduate courses you will be required to make up. You will be informed of their decision in your Offer of Admission. You must complete these courses before registering for graduate-level Chemical Engineering courses, and to pass them with an average of B or better. Note that this can add anywhere from one to four semesters to your Master’s program. Undergraduate course credits will not be counted as part of the 31 required credits for the Master’s degree.

Table I.  Required Undergraduate Courses (these must be completed before commencing Graduate course work in Chemical Engineering)

Course title

CCNY Course #

Differential Equations

MATH 39100

Linear Algebra

MATH 39200

Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics I and II

CHE 22900 and 33000

Chemical Engineering Transport Phenomena I and II

CHE 34100 and 34200

Chemical Reactor Design and Kinetics

CHE 43200


Students with undergraduate degrees in disciplines other than the ones noted above, or who do not have the appropriate chemistry, math, or physics prerequisites to take all of the courses listed here, will NOT be considered for admission to the Master's program in Chemical Engineering, but will instead be directed to apply for a second Bachelor's degree in our Department. These students may choose to reapply to the Master's program at a later date, after completing core Chemical Engineering undergraduate courses through the 300-level. Note that this also requires completion of all of the appropriate prerequisite courses in mathematics, chemistry, and physics.

4. Can I take graduate courses as a non-degree student?  No. This is not permitted in the Grove School of Engineering.

5. Can I transfer graduate credits taken at another institution?  Yes. You can transfer up to 6 credits received for graduate course work taken at another institution. The Graduate Admissions Committee will evaluate your transcript and determine whether to award credit and/or placement for any graduate courses you have taken before starting in our Master’s program.

6. Do I qualify for financial aid or federal student loans?  The Chemical Engineering Department does not provide financial support for Master’s students. However, US citizens and permanent residents may qualify for some categories of financial aid if they did not receive aid during their undergraduate studies. In addition, federal student loans may be available to citizens and residents who are full time students. Please direct all questions concerning financial aid to the Financial Aid Office, Wille Administration Building, A-104, telephone 1-212-650-5819.

7. What are the requirements for the Master of Engineering (ME) degree in Chemical Engineering? The Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering requires completion of 31 credits of graduate courses, seminar, and research. To obtain your degree, you need to maintain at least a B average (corresponding to a GPA of 3.0).

Required courses for the ME degree in Chemical Engineering (31 credits total),  All of the following Core courses:

• CHE I0000: Seminar (1 credit)

• ENGR I1100: Introduction to Engineering Analysis (3 credits)

• CHE I2800: Advanced Chemical Thermodynamics (3 credits)

• CHE I3300: Advanced Chemical Reaction Engineering (3 credits) ………………..10 credits

At least two of these three Core courses:

• CHE I9100 or ENGR I9100: Mass Transfer (3 credits)

• ENGR I0800: Foundations of Fluid Mechanics (3 credits)

• ME G3400: Advanced Heat Transfer (3 credits)……………………………..….6 or 9 credits

• One of these Research options (see Note below):

• CHE I9700: 0-credit research project

• CHE I9800: 3-credit Master’s project

• CHE I9900: 6-credit Master’s thesis………………………………………0, 3, or 6 credits

The balance of your 31 credits will consist of Graduate-level electives in Chemical Engineering or a related discipline, as recommended by your Academic Advisor or Research Advisor. Elective course offerings vary from year to year.Note about the Research Requirement – All Master’s students are required to meet with members of the Chemical Engineering Department’s faculty to identify an appropriate research project. Your research project advisor will then also become your Academic Advisor, and suggest elective courses you should take related to your research project. The three different research options listed above allow students the choice of either focusing on intensive research or pursuing extra course work.

8. What technical elective courses are available? You may choose from Graduate course offerings in Chemical Engineering, other Departments within the Grove School of Engineering, and other related Departments within CUNY (with ChE Department approval). Please consult the Course Bulletin to see descriptions of courses offered in recent years. Note that these course offerings vary from year to year.

9. How do I register for courses before arriving on campus my first semester, and also thereafter?

All Master’s students must contact the Program Academic Advisor via email by June 15 to finalize their courseselection for the Fall. You can then register remotely using CUNYfirst on the date the system assigns to you.  Instructions for logging in will come to you via email once you have accepted your Offer of Admission. If your Offer of Admission states that you must make up some Undergraduate courses, you MUST take those beginning in your first semester, and complete them before moving on to Graduate-level course work. Once you arrive on campus, please make an appointment to meet with the Program Academic Advisor early in your first semester. You can schedule your appointment by sending an email to: with subject line “Making Appointment”

10. Can Master’s students in Chemical Engineering take classes outside of CCNY? Yes, with Departmental approval.

11. What is the residency policy for the ME degree in Chemical Engineering?  A residency of the greater of two semesters on campus, or 21 credits taken at The City College, is required.

12. For international students, how is a student visa obtained?  If you are accepted into the program, you will receive all the necessary instructions on how to obtain a student visa.  The CCNY Office of International Studies provides advice and assistance to students coming from outside theUnited States. Please contact: International Student and Scholar Services, North Academic Center, NA 1/107; telephone 1-212-650-8106

13. What if my application is not complete by the deadline?  All parts of your application MUST be received by the Office of Admissions by the deadline date in order for the application to be considered for the upcoming semester. Late applications will be deferred to the next semester.

14. I am having a problem with the online application process – what do I do?  If you have any problems with the online application process, please contact the CCNY Graduate Admissions Office, at

15. Do you accept application fee waivers?  The application fee is required by the University and cannot be waived or deferred. Your application will not be considered complete, and will not be forwarded to the Admissions Committee, without the fee.

16. Is campus housing available?  Yes. The Towers, City College’s first residence hall, provides accommodations for our students who wish to live on campus. In addition, many of our students live off campus in apartments throughout New York City.

17. What if I decide I would like to continue on for my PhD at City College?  Students interested in entering our PhD program must submit an application during the Fall semester to be considered for both admission and funding beginning in the following academic year. You are encouraged to meet with the PhD Program Advisor or email for more information.

18. Where can I get more information?  Most information can be found online at:

City College

City College Graduate Admissions FAQs

Chemical Engineering Department

For questions related to deadlines, forms and procedures please contact one of the following offices:

• Admissions: Admissions Office, Wille Administration Building, A-101, tel. 1-212-650-6977

• Registration: Registrar's Office, Wille Administration Building, A-102, tel. 1-212-650-7850

Grove School of Engineering, Graduate Office, Steinman Hall, ST-209, tel. 1-212-650-8030

• Visas: International Student and Scholar Services, North Academic Center, NA 1/107, tel. 1-212-650-8106

Financial Aid Office, Wille Administration Building, A-104, tel. 1-212-650-5819

For further questions specific to the ChE-ME Program please contact


Last updated 5/18/21

Last Updated: 05/18/2021 10:44