Certificate of Fitness C-14 Supervising Non-production Chemical Laboratories
The City of New York Fire Department requires that all non-production chemical laboratories require an individual holding a Certificate of Fitness for Non-Production Chemical Laboratories (C-14) to be present at all times during operation. The certificate is valid only at a specific location and for the specific person to whom it is issued.
A non-production chemical laboratory is a building or portion of a building where chemicals or gases are stored, handled or used on a non-production basis for testing, research, experimental, instructional or educational purposes. A lab is considered to be in operation when it is open and a chemical that requires a Certificate of Fitness is being handled or used. All laboratories must be built to specifications set by the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB).
Fall 2020 Training Schedule
New COF Applicant Requirements
Please find the required forms (on the right) that must be completed to apply for an FDNY Certificate of Fitness. Additional requirements include:
- Attend C-14 training and other lab safety training.
- Color copy of your CCNY Employee (Faculty/Staff) ID card. If you should need assistance obtaining an employee ID, please follow this link (https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/safety/id-office).
- A recent photo (2x2 headshot). The photo must be in PDF and/or JPEG form.
- Color copy of your diploma/transcript showing degree conferred.
- Recommendation letter (template included in documents to the right) from an advisor or principal investigator. Please note that this is not required if you attained a Master's degree or higher.
Certificate of Fitness Renewal
It is best advised to renew the C-14 certification before the expiration date. If one year has elapsed since the expiration date shown on the certification, please follow the instructions in the previous section for applying for a new Certificate of Fitness.
The renewal process is fairly simple and only requires four documents:
C14 Renewal Form City of New York
FDNY C14 Renewal Request Form
- Color copy of your CCNY Employee (Faculty/Staff) ID card
- Color copy of your Certificate of Fitness C-14 card
All paperwork should be sent via email to the EHOS Office for processing at firstname.lastname@example.org . If there are any questions regarding your application, please call (212-650-5080) or email ( email@example.com ).
Certificate of Fitness Renewal Instructions
COF C-14 Application Instructions
C-14 New Application Documents
Certificate of Fitness Alternative Issuance Procedure - Employee Affirmation Form
EHOS Supervision of Non-Production Chemical Laboratories Alternate Issuance Application
Statement of Application for Certificate of Fitness for The Supervision of Chemical Laboratories
C-14 Recommendation Letter