As academic advisors we hope to guide students, to help them make the most of their college experience. Here is a partial list of what we do:
- Develop a comprehensive plan for achieving your educational/academic goals.
- Help to identify personal interests, abilities and values.
- Help with appropriate curriculum and course selection.
- Assist with monitoring academic progress.
- Provide information on degree requirements, general education requirements, college policies, procedures, and campus resources.
- Discuss career goals and how it relates to your major. Provide perspective on alternative careers as well as the possibility of graduate school.
- Discuss enhanced learning opportunities such as study abroad, internships, etc.
In order to provide the most efficient assistance, we ask our students to be active participants in the advising process. Things you can do that will help us help you include:
- Arrive prepared for your advising session. If you have previously met with an advisor, please bring a copy of your general education checklist, consolidated transcript, degree audit and anything your advisor has asked you to follow-up on.
- Familiarize yourself with the graduate or undergraduate bulletin, college procedures and policies.
- Be open and honest about your academic career and goals. Remember: Our sessions are confidential in order to facilitate clear communication.
- Keep your advisor informed of academic progress and asking for their assistance when necessary.
- Make sure you meet with an advisor at least once a semester
- Check your CCNY email daily. Your email is the way the college gets in touch with you about announcements which may have an impact on your registration, bill payment, financial aid, scheduling, etc. Please keep in mind that many offices such as the bursar, registrar and admissions only accept email messages from your CCNY email address.