The Office of the Provost is pleased to announce the Faculty Travel Program aimed to promote research and scholarly activities across the college. Awards will support out-of-town faculty travel to disseminate the results of research, creative activities or other scholarly endeavors or to develop new research collaborations and funding opportunities. The program is funded from Indirect Cost Returns generated from external grants awarded to CCNY faculty. Faculty Travel awards are not designed to fund the travel expenses fully but rather to assist in defraying a significant portion of the costs. Faculty are expected to explore and utilize other mechanisms to fund their trips as centrally available funds are limited. Faculty Travel awards will reimburse for domestic or international travel. This support may be used for registration, economy transportation, lodging, and receipted meal costs not provided by other sources of support. All applications for travel funding should be submitted prior to date of travel. Faculty may request no more than $1500 over a two fiscal year period. The Faculty Travel Program funds allocated will subject to all CUNY travel policies.
Please remember. Travel Waivers continue to be REQUIRED for any essential CUNY business travel regardless of the funding source.
- Waiver requests should be submitted and approved prior to making any financial commitments.
- Waivers must be attached to the Travel Expense Report in CUNYFirst.
- Waiver requests should be submitted to Provost Liss as the Responsible Executive Officer
Related Travel Policy Links:
- Travel: Domestic and International
- Travel during the Pandemic – Waiver information
- Guidelines for NYS 14-day Traveler Quarantine
Categories of Travel Supported
Category 1: Travel to Develop Funding Opportunities
Awards in this category will support faculty travel to develop new funding opportunities or to set up new collaborations that have the potential to yield external funding in the future. These trips will typically involve meeting with potential collaborators or funding program managers when a "virtual" meeting is inadequate. Travelers are encouraged to visit multiple agencies or program managers during a single trip, especially when traveling to Washington, DC. A maximum amount of $500 may be requested for travel under this category.
Category 2: Travel to Disseminate Results
Awards in this category will support faculty travel to disseminate the results of research, creative activities or other significant scholarly endeavors. These trips will typically involve delivering a presentation or exhibition before an audience of peers or the broader community. Confirmation of the faculty member's participation in the conference or event is required at the time of application. A maximum amount of $1500 may be requested for travel under this category.
How to Apply
Requests must be submitted using the following online application form.
Applications for travel in FY22 will be reviewed according to the schedule below. Faculty may submit applications at any time, but award decisions will be made four times per year (September 30, December 30, March 30 and June 30). Faculty therefore may not receive an award decision before the start of their trip.
- All untenured Assistant Professors irrespective of their division/school will receive the highest priority for funding.
- Tenured Associate Professors in the humanities and social sciences will receive the next highest level of priority; tenured Associate Professors in the STEM fields will also be accorded similar levels of priority but their funding levels will be reduced to 50% of the maximum amounts i.e. $250 and $750 for Categories 1 and 2, respectively.
- Applications from Full Professors in STEM fields and Distinguished Professors will ordinarily not be considered. Such faculty are expected to have other avenues to fund their research and travel. Applications from Full Professors in non-STEM fields will be supported as funds allow, up to 50% of the maximum amounts. Applications from Assistant and Associate Professors will generally be given higher priority.
Awards & Reimbursement
Award recipients must provide documentation to support their participation in the meeting and provide expense details and receipts to validate reimbursement claims. Reimbursement policy for the travel reimbursement can be found here. Form to file claims may be found here. Requests for reimbursement should be made within one month of the end of the trip by email ( email@example.com )
Last Updated: 11/17/2021 20:40